Thursday, July 14, 2011

Annotated bibliography

Gordon, Michael R. and Trainer, Bernard E. (2006). Cobra ii: The inside story of the invasion and occupation of Iraq. Westminster, MD, USA: Pantheon.
This source is I found at the Yavapai Library, I chose this resource because of the emphasis the author put on political pressure driving the war in Iraq to where it is at now. The author explains how there are many different reasons that the American people would view an invasion of Iraq as a sure win, as well as what Americans stand to ‘win’ from the invasion. The first chapter is all about why we are there now, including a very in-depth tell-all of who said what in the initial stages. I picked this source because the author mentioned many of the same people as the sandstorm (i.e. Rumsfeld, George Bush.) I think this will help my research because the author goes into so much detail to answer why we are there today.
Rogers, Paul. (2006). Iraq and the war on terror: twelve months of insurgency. London: Tauris.

This source is one of the better ones I found because it is broken down into timeline form. The first two years of the war are entirely broken down into month-by-month points, starting with the political war between John Kerry and George Bush. The last chapter is written in a sort of where-are-we-going sort of way. There are a lot of ‘what ifs’ in this portion of the book, so it may not be a good resource for a research paper. I will probably use the first half of the book primary for my paper. The author did an excellent job considering the topic from multiple angles.
Oliker, Olga. (2007). U. S. policy options for Iraq: a reassessment. Santa Monica, CA: RANDMCNALLEY
This source is much more hypothetical than the other two. I say this because it gives many what if scenarios. This book is more based around the Iraqi society and talks about the clash of cultures when America invaded. I like this resource because it lays out where things overseas going, as well as placing more emphasis on the fact that the middle east has a very different culture than our own. This gives a more personal view onto the subject at hand. This book also gives a more intimate look into the Iraqi beliefs and where they clash with the beliefs of westerners.  

3 comments:

  1. I would be interested to see where you take this view of Huze's play. I am not surprised to see that there is a lot of "what ifs" with your topic. The entire war is a different series of what ifs with each person you ask. There is no solid answer on why we are there, what would happen if we leave again? These questions are all situational and opinion based. I like to see another paper on Huze, even though there is much less to choose from to write about, it is an important topic in today's society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacey,
    Over all good annotated bibliography. I noticed a couple of mistake though. In the first line you said "This source is I found at the Yavapai Library..." I am thinking that you meant to say that This source I found at... Also you have a couple of sentences that are your opinion about the source, which we are not supposed to have in an annotated bibliography. They were "The author did an *excellent job considering* the topic from multiple angles" and "*I like this resource* because it lays out where things overseas going, as well as placing more emphasis on the fact that the middle east has a very different culture than our own."

    I am interested in seeing how you continue with the topic you have chosen to write about.It seems very interesting. Good post, keep up the good work.


    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you spoke of you particular bibliographies. You talk a lot about how one is in timeline form, and another is in more of a hypothetical form. This is useful in understanding the diversity of information available to us. All my sources came from JSTOR so I can appreciate you taking the time to find information from campus library. Well done overall they were very informative of the useful topics that each covered that you would draw from for your paper.

    ReplyDelete